Stress can have a serious impact on your health in general including your oral health. This is why our Federal Way dentistry clinic advises that you take appropriate steps to manage the stress that may exist in your life, for the sake of your teeth and gums. The possible dental ramifications of stress include all of the following:
- Bruxism, or tooth grinding, which breaks down tooth structure
- Canker sores, cold sores, and similar sores
- Gum disease, which can be aggravated by stress
- Overeating, particularly of comfort foods that contain a lot of sugar
- Depression, which causes people to neglect their dental care routine
- Nervous chewing habits, like chewing your nails or chewing ice, which is not good for your teeth
If you notice any signs or changes in your mouth or jaws such as pain, cold sores, etc., please contact our dental office today for a checkup.