Are you brushing correctly? It may not be as simple as you think. Some improper brushing technique can do more harm than good, so take the advice of your dentist in Federal Way and follow these simple steps to keep your teeth healthy and white:
- If you’re flossing, do so before you brush.
- Do not brush too soon after eating! Acids in your food can weaken your tooth enamel such that your brush can strip this thin layer away and expose you to tooth decay.
- Start by moistening your brush and applying a thin layer of toothpaste.
- Approach your teeth with your brush at a forty-five degree angle, brushing in a circular motion so that you gently massage your gums while you remove the plaque from your teeth. Don’t brush too hard, or you can break down your delicate gum tissues.
- Work your way around the front surface of all your teeth, the back surface, and the tops of your molars. Try to change where you begin your routine every day, so that no one area is getting all your attention.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper, or brush it normally with your brush.
- Rinse out and follow up with a good mouthwash, if desired.
- Brush twice a day, for two minutes at a time. Ideal times include after you wake up and before you go to sleep, as your mouth is less able to defend against plaque during the night.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to make an appointment with our Federal Way dentist.